Saturday, April 28, 2012

winner winner chili dinner

My dinner tonight was awesome! I used my iPhone app "allrecipes.com dinner spinner" to come up with a soup/chili idea for tonight.  If you don't have this app, you need it!  It's cool, fo sho.  Anyway, I plugged in my criteria to the spinner, "soup", "grains", and "any" (for amount of time to prepare meal) and it gave me a list of options.  I was stuck on the quinoa and black bean chili.  Here ya go...
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-bean-chili/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=quinoa%20and%20black%20bean%20chili&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page
I made the chili as directed, except for a few things.  One, I didn't have any quinoa in the house, so I used taboule instead.  Still good.  I also added a can of dark red kidney beans...I needed the meati-ness of the extra beans.

So then I wanted some cornbread to go with it.  Could I a vegan version?  I once again used my handy dandy phone and googled.  Here is the link to the recipe I used:
http://www.theppk.com/2007/10/vegan-cornbread/
I made it according to specs, except for soymilk.  I used almond instead.  The cornbread turned out decent, but a little on the bland side.  Next time I will probably add some green chiles and maybe some corn...I dunno.

And then I found myself wanting a beer.  I looked in the fridge, nothing but Ray's snobby beer (I'm a cheapo when it comes to brew).  I needed a trip to the Spinx around the corner from my house.  After hooking myself up with a 40 (no lie), I was ready to go.


That was a damn good dinner!! 

So after dinner the kids started asking for ice cream, or "ass cream", as Andrew calls it.  HAHA!  
 (he's still working out the kinks in pronunciation-land) 

 Anyhoo...here's what I ate.  It was good mixed with some fresh fruit.   :)


No, I didn't eat the whole carton.  Just a heaping scoopful.  :)

All of this was the highlight of my evening spent in the living room with my family.  We watched "The Chipmunks" movie...the kids loved it.  


Hope to inspire some of you to make this for dinner, the chili really was great!  Happy Sunday!


(My title was a play on a line that Guy Fieri uses on Food Network's "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives")




1 comment:

  1. My sister's family is vegetarian, and they've served a coconut milk ice cream alongside a regula ice cream before. That coconut milk ice cream is so much better. Not sure of the brand she had.

    ReplyDelete